Part one of the canned soup recipe series!
We have a fun recipe to cheer you out of your winter blues. This is the perfect time of year to get in the last bit of comfort food of the season. We thought about comfort food, talked about it, and realized that so many recipes had a can of soup as an ingredient. Behold Cambell’s Soup: the smartest marketing during the 1950s. You could make so muchmore with a simple can of soup. The recipes have stayed strong through out the years.
Allow me to introduce you to Shannon from Kaleidoscope Kitschen. Once she started talking about a mid-west dish simply called ‘hot dish‘ I knew we would have to share the love. Hot dish is local to the midwest, and seems to be very popular in Minnesota.
Shannon shows us the process below and also shares her recipe. Pop over to her blog for some behind the scenes action, including a video that shows a House of Brinson photo shoot. Follow Shannon on Twitter
to see what she cooks up next.
Tatertot Hotdish Recipe
- 1 (24 ounce) bag frozen tater tots
- 1 lb ground turkey burger
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomatoes with chilis (Rotel)
- 1 (12 ounce) can condensed cheddar or nacho cheese soup
- 1 (12 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken (or celery) soup
- 1 (12 ounce) can sweet corn (drained) or 1.5 cups frozen
- 1 (12 ounce) can black beans (drained and rinsed
- 1 (12 ounce) bag four-cheese Mexican blend cheese
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 chopped red pepper
- 1 diced jalepeno pepper (seeded)
- Heat onions and olive oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until they start to soften. Add chopped garlic, jalepeno and red pepper to onions and let cook for 2-3 minutes before adding turkey burger. Cook until browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Drain the tomatoes, beans and corn and mix with the cans of condensed soup in a casserole dish. Note, you add the soup straight out of the can. Do not add water or milk. After the meat is browned and the grease is drained, stir it in with the veggie/soup mixture. Cover with shredded cheese and top with frozen tater tots.
- Bake in the oven at 375°F until the tots are browned. About 35 – 40 minutes.
PLEASE PUT A PRINT ICON SO WE CAN PRINT OFF THE RECIPES THAT APPEAL TO US. I WOULD LIKE THE ONE FOR TATORTOT HOTDISH . CAN NOT FIND A PRINT ICON. THANK YOU. DARLENE
Hi Darlene, You can print the recipe from your browser if you go to file>print. Depending on your browser, that’s where it is! Have fun making tater tot hot dish. 🙂
Please do not reply in all caps. It looks like you’re screaming.
Delicious recipe! We use this one frequently. A fun flavorful twist on a classic casserole.